It's Addison Moore, here! I'm thrilled to be posting today and would love to share my thoughts on a year in retrospect.
Has it been one year already? Well, OK, a year and a month since I jumped into the indie pool with the CELESTRA series (my YA paranormal romance). Its been a whirlwind for sure and I wanted share a few things I've learned along the way;
1. Indie publishing can consume you. The writing, the edits--looking for the next cover, it all has the ability to suck you into a time warp, and if you dare peek your head out, an entire year might have passed. Remember to breathe and hang out with friends and family. It's OK to have a life.
2. Writers and readers are the nicest people on the planet! Engage with them on every level possible. I honestly feel like my readers are family.
3. Bloggers are made of PURE GOLD. Bloggers are the most supportive, friendly, encouraging people. Get to know them and their readers!
4. Tweet not for yourself what you can have others tweet for you, but DO THEM FIRST. It’s never nice to follow someone who turns into a one-person titter based infomercial but spreading the love can combat that and enable you to share other great indie books with your followers as well.
5. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Break a few rules, test new water, push your characters and scenes further than you would ever be comfortable. If it makes for a more exciting read, the reader will want to turn the page.
6. Take into consideration what reviewers are saying but don’t rise or fall with every review. If reviews tend to knock you down and ruin the mojo of your word count don’t read them until your writing for the day is done.
7. Write the best book you can. And when you upload it to the world--start another one and try do better. Always strive to top yourself.
Well there’s the shortlist of things I’ve discovered this year. I really do strive to write each book tighter and stronger (apparently longer, too, but that’s a different story.)
Anything you would like to know about indie publishing? Ask away!
If you would like to enter to win a free e-copy of ETHEREAL (Celestra Series Book 1) please leave your email addy in the comments section.
Addison Moore is the mom of four wonderful children and a graduate of the University of Southern California. Upon graduation she worked as a therapist on a locked psychiatric unit for over seven years. Her late night writing jags are often fueled by Dr. Pepper. The film rights to the CELESTRA series were recently sold to 20th Century Fox. To learn more please visit Addison’s blog.
Follow me on Twitter
Join me on Facebook